Monday, March 19, 2007

Oh Boy, Oh Boy, Oh Boy, Rabbi Dave

13 years ago, Smokey Louis was born. Barry Bonds was the first pick, and some annoying guy named Donnie Smith kept calling me Rabbi Dave in honor of my team, the Rockin' Rabbis. We all knew Donnie wouldn't last long in Smokey Louis--taking Tyler Greene with his first pick was a sure indication of that. Many thought I wouldn't survive either after I offerred our beloved Commish $5 for his pitcher rankings. I remember sweating those first 3 picks, praying that Mike Piazza would last until my #4. He lasted and stayed with my team almost a decade. Gotta love the keeper concept.

Well, 13 years later Smokey Louis is still going strong. Some have gone, some have come, and Smokey is still here. Most of us are getting older and grayer as we enter our middle age and prepare to have our kids join us as co-owners. It is a true testament to the founders and owners of this league that, well into the 21st century, we still show the same enthusiasm for Smokey Louis that we did back in 1994.

CORRECTION: Donnie selected Tommy Greene not Tyler. Don't remember much about either...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome job, Big Davey!! I like that you can now tell the story of your unseemly attempt to bribe me on the evening of the first ever draft. I think the "Oh boys" had us all out of whack that night!
One correction. Donnie picked Tommie Greene, not Tyler Greene.

The Commissioner

PS I love the picture you've posted.

PugBoy13 said...

Tommie Greene, Tyler Greene, I can't remember the difference anymore. Old age!