Friday, November 15, 2024

PROPOSED AMENDMENT A: ROOKIE & INJURED POSITION ELIGIBILITY (2025)

PROPOSED AMENDMENT A: ROOKIE & INJURED POSITION ELIGIBILITY (2025)

[ARTICLE IV, SECTION G (POSITION ELIGIBILITY), ADD NUMBERS 5 & 6]


A. Upon being called up to the MLB roster, rookies (defined as those who have played 30 MLB games or less the previous season), will immediately be eligible at the positions they played in MiLB in the previous season and current season under the eligibility requirements laid out in Article IV, Section G. Once a player achieves eligibility in MLB at a position, their MiLB positions will no longer be used for eligibility purposes.

As an example, in 2023, Jackson Holliday of the Baltimore Orioles played 98 games at SS and 20 games at 2B in MiLB. When he made his MLB debut on April 10, 2024, he would have been eligible immediately for the Chopp Sticks at SS & 2B. Once he started 5 consecutive games at 2B in MLB (which he did from April 10-15), his eligibility would have been reduced to 2B only the next week in Smokey Louis.

 

B. An MLB player who suffers a season-ending injury who plays 20 games or less would retain position eligibility the next season based on the start of that injury-plagued season.

 

As an example, Matt McLain entered the 2024 season with position eligibility for 2B & SS and suffered a season-ending shoulder injury in spring training. Since he did not play >20 games in 2024, he would retain 2B & SS eligibility for the 2025 season.

 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The purpose of this amendment is to eliminate the problem of rookies only qualifying at DH when first called to MLB. DC

Anonymous said...

In favor of this change. Joe

Anonymous said...

I completely understand the spirit of Proposed Amendment A, however I have to say that the Chopp Sticks are not in favor of it. I realize that a rookie only being eligible at DH is a bummer and some may feel it's unfair, but I don't think their MiLB numbers translate to MLB, and don't feel great about the eligibility then being reduced per the Holliday example. And if an MLB player plays 18 games at SS in 2024 and is not eligible to play that position on opening day 2025, I don't love that compared to the MiLB player being eligible. I guess I'm the grinch. Thank you.