Friday, February 25, 2011

DV Games Played Qualification Proposal

I think the maximum games played in order to qualify for DV are too low. For position players, 30 games is a month of action--something many prospects achieve when called up in September after the minor league season ends. 10 games is roughly 2.5 months for a SP & 20 games is about the same for a RP.

Here is what I propose:

15 games for a SP

30 games for a RP

75 games for a position player

Each of these values represent roughly half a season for each position. These new levels would encourage more deals in the off season & alleviate panic trading as owners are guessing whether or not their DV player is going pitch in 10 or 11 games when all is said and done.

Comments please.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dave-
I am happy with the current rule and do not favor a change. There are currently few very good players available in the MLB draft, and I am not in favor of making it even more difficult.
Sean

Anonymous said...

DC.

I see your point in this regard. Sometimes a few weeks of action is all that is needed to strip away DV status. However, I tend to agree with Sean's point as well. Having the threshold pretty low does spice up the MLB draft. I can be persuaded to vote either way, but as of now, would tend to favor keeping the numbers in tact.
DK

D.W. said...

Gents,

Why don't we discuss it during draft night and put it to a vote? I see the proposal as having merit.

DK

Anonymous said...

Dave-
I still do not support this proposal. By raising the number of games that players qualify for the DV, it will diminish further the talent pool of players available for the MLB Draft. The talent pool available for the MLB draft is already small enough.
Thanks- Sean

Chuck said...

I actually agree with the numbers associated with starters and relievers, but 75 games for a position player seems too high. If this was amended to 60, I'd second it and vote in favor.

The eligibility requirements now are too low.

Anonymous said...

Yeah in rethinking it I probably went way too high. In fact, I should have gone with 45. I don't know if I can amend this proposal since I formally introduced it; I'll check with the Commish. DC

Ron said...

MLB baseball states that a player is no longer a rookie when he gets 130 AB's in or 50 innings pitched. I don't think, if we are going to use the MLB as a model for our rules that we can increase the number of appearances for pitchers unless we want to go by innings for pitchers (50 inning by 6 innings per start=8.3 games, round up to 10; 50 innings per 2 inning releif appearance = 25 games). I beleive position players could go up but not to 75 150 AB's by 3.1 ab's per game= 48.4 games--round to 45 or 50. Can't vote for this as is but would reconsider on a revised proposal

Ron said...

Did my AB math wrong--130/3.1=41.9. Round to 40 or 45