Friday, April 20, 2007

Everybody's Favorite Home Run Hitter

This is a topic the media has talked about relentlessly for several years. Its one I know I am tired of hearing about, and talking about. However, seeing as how SLFBL now has a blog, I feel like its time to chime in.

This story from the Detroit News is incredibly fascinating to me, and an original take on the situation to be sure. As Barry Bonds closes in on the home run record we all begin to wonder what will MLB do to celebrate the accomplishment. Will Bud Selig appear? Will Hank Aaron appear? Will there be a celebration at all? Here is this bloggers take:

I know its hard for you to imagine Bud Selig looking foolish... he seems to do it on a weekly basis. Listen, do I like what Barry has been wrapped up in? Absolutely not! Is it good for the game? No, it isnt. But to not celebrate the breaking of the most incredible record in all of sports is lunacy. Has Barry ever tested positive for performance enhancing drugs? No! You cannot continue to punish someone for rumors and innuendo. Dont get me wrong, I dont feel sorry for Bonds... he has put himself into this position. I also dont think we can underestimate the fact that there is an excellent chance several pitchers BB was facing during this run were on roids...

Now, on to Aaron. Feel free to call me crazy if you like after reading this. I totally agree with the Detroit News story linked above. Shame on Aaron! If there is one thing that irritates me more than anything in sports its bitter retired/former athletes. Did we celebrate Aaron's record as much as we should have? Probably not. Does that mean Aaron has a right to say, "I dont like Bonds (personality, tactics, etc...) so I am not going to appear as he breaks my record." Hell no! Aaron should take a tip from the Maris family. Even though there were rumors swirling around McGwire the Maris family appeared in St. Louis to watch McGwire break their fathers single season home run record.

We dont have to like it, but we have to celebrate it. Bonds is an incredible player, with or without help.

No comments: